Mama Cotton's Life Adventures

Join me on my path of Fiber, Music, and Rainbows.

Monday, August 23, 2004

The Dead Show Trip to Atlanta

The latest adventure was a return trip to Atlanta for the final show of the Dead's summer tour. DH and I left a day and a half late due to Hurricane Charley but we at least we got to leave. Getting gas the day after a hurricane decides to visit is not an easy thing to do and we weren't hit that hard, but apparently all the gas deliveries were stopped for Friday and so the supply was running short. We finally managed to get the MH filled up and we were off for the hammock. Left the hammock Monday morning after a nice relaxed walk around the property checking out all the various mushroom varieties that had sprounted due to the rain of the hurricane and headed for Crescent City music, our first stop of the trip. This is where my fun began - crossing the road and caught my foot on one of those reflectors which sent me flying right into traffic. Fortunately, I was seen and not run over but my dignity wasn't quite intact when I entered the store to join DH. Unfortunately, my hand took quite a beating and so I wasn't able to do much fiber art on the road:-(. Anyway, we bought Charles a half size accustic guitar and headed on up the road to visit with my dad before heading up through the middle of FL and into GA.

We spent Monday night just inside the border of GA at a state park. It is rather lonely in a campground on a Monday night but we enjoyed the peacefulness of it and just basically relaxed and hung out until bedtime.

Tuesday morning we took a walk down the trail behind our site enjoying again all the species of mushrooms but also the wild flowers and other fauna. We headed out stopping for breakfast at a little dinner in town and then on up 441.

Highway 441 was tauted as a historical drive through GA, historical is correct, as in original, there is nothing but cows along this road. We enjoyed the scenery though there weren't too many places to stop and do anything so we arrived at Stone Mountain in the late afternoon. We set up camp and checked out the campground. I got set up with a wireless internet connection and started on my homework. Exhausted from the travel of the day we went to bed early expecting to see Linc and Tracy in the spot next to us in the morning.

Wednesday morning a peek out the window revealed the corner of what I thought was Linc and Tracy's MH but then Kip came in and said that someone had taken one of our spots. A check of the van revealed dead stickers with a Farethee well painting on the wheel cover. We were fairly certain we knew the people inside the van even though we didn't recognize the van itself. Yep we did, Nat and Cassie came climbing out not much later. Linc and Tracy caught in traffic the night before rolled in a little later. We all hung out enjoying the company, Kip and I went on a grocery mission, getting lost yet again :-)

Wednesday night we discover that the rest of the gang was delayed by constant issues, we went to bed expecting to see them in the morning but they didn't arrive until jsut before the concert, meeting us in the lot.

The lot was bigger and there were more people there than last year, there seemed to be less drugs and more vendors but maybe that was just a perception. I managed to trade off a couple of my lighter holders for a beer and some stickers, that was fun. Otherwise I purchased a silver dead bear which I gave to Jenn. The concert was awesome, front row seats are the only way to go according to DH but I still prefer the field. The gang had fun taking turns at my front row seat. It was cool having three different perspectives of the stage.

After the show our MH decided it was not going to start, arrgggg. They finally got the silinoid jumped off and we caravaned through downtown Atlanta back to the campground. The looks on people's faces as we passed them was cool. 3 motorhomes, a pull behind trailer, a van and a car all in a row - it was great. Our back lights were out and so we were sandwiched in between Dan and Alabama Jason. Everytime we saw a cop we cringed but we made it back to the campground before the beast decided to stop again. Kip quickly jumped the silinoid off and we got back to our site. He would have to fix that before we left for home!

Friday morning, a smiling Dan, Donna and Kip headed into town for a silinoid and groceries. The rest of us vegged, recovering from the late night and partying of the day before. Friday night for the first time ever we were all ready in time to attend the light show only to have a storm move in and so we stayed at the campsite and partied the night away. Gentleman's Jack was being passed about and the guys got trashed, to say the least.

Saturday morning we all decided we would head over to the mountain to go to top on the sky lift. I just wanted to see the plantation but they talked me into the sky lift, lots of weight, little wires - this doesn't seem safe to me and I clung to Kip until he couldn't breath. The top was breath taking and we had an awesome view of the Atlanta skyline. We found a small cave and sat and talked in the breeze of the height for a couple of hours before heading down again, of course I had to pull out my spindle and spin a bit on the top of the mountain. Kip and I headed over to the plantation and the rest of the gang headed back to the campground. The plantation was a bit of a let down but there were some cool things to be seen. A cotton gin was on display in the barn and in the basement kitchen was a great wheel and other spinning and weaving equipment. My disappointment was in the lack of acknowledgement of the textiles and textile equipment in the house. The spinning wheel was not even complete.

Stone mountain could learn alot about moving people around the exhibits. It took three shuttles to get from the plantation to the campground, what a nightmare, I felt like I spent the entire afternoon waiting to be transported. Anyway, packing was looming at us but some of the group decided to go to the light show and they really enjoyed it. The rest of us enjoyed the fire and kip and I gradually got things in order to leave first thing in the morning.

Sunday morning we were the first to pull out and arrived home in the late afternoon, tired and glad to be home!

I guess I will be going backward in catching up the adventures of the year, next time, our first ever hurricane party.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home