RiverHawk Festival
3 days, 3 stages, two five year olds and only two adults to chase them. In spite of the shelter that kept blowing down in the rain and the sheer exhaustion of chasing the children, we had a great time. The playground was close to one of the stages and the kids spent alot of time playing there. Festivals are a wonderful place for children, safe enough to let them play and have just a bit of freedom.
Charles and I arrived early Friday afternoon after quite the trip in. I stopped to get propane and had to trade in my tank but I couldn't get the stupid thing off the camper. The man inside came out and after much ado he managed to get it off. I got the new one and managed to get it attached by myself. Silly me didn't think to hold on to the other end of the bolt so it wouldn't spin. But as it turned out the delay paid off, I thought we were lost and pulled into a gas station to check my directions and a girl pulled up and asked if we were going to the music festival and lead us right in.
Once I got banded, we circled the area twice before I decided to park the van and renegade and venture on foot to find a camping spot. After much ado and misunderstandings we landed along the fence at the main stage. Awesome we could put the kids to sleep right in our camp and still listen to the music. And they had a whole field to play in.
Back at camp it didn't take long before the kids were settled down and they fell asleep under the stars. We let them sleep and enjoyed the music and company before moving them into their beds. So I get Charles almost to the camper when he gets away from me exlaiming that he wasn't tired and ran all the way back to his bed under the stars. Boy was I flabergasted but eventually got him into bed and me with him. I was exhausted and slept hard.
Saturday morning they were up bright and early checking out the cows who had come down to sleep just on the other side of the fence that we were parked against. Maura and I managed to get some coffee into us before being drug off to the playground. We stood in line for breakfast and managed to get some sausage biscuits and gravy, bacon and some waffles which the kids wolfed down. Mauras sister and friend were coming out so we headed off to camp to see if they were there yet and they were so we got them settled before heading to the childrens tent for the pirate show. Charles insisted the pirates weren't real and wanted me to ask so I did and the man scared the pants off him when he leaned down and asked if Charles was real in a very real pirate voice. Of course the pirate had a gun and we discussed that he wouldn't fire it off in such a happy place. Charles proclaimed that the happy place would bite him if he tried. The show started by the pirates firing the cap guns and sent Charles and Katey running for cover. I thought I was going to die laughing. The wench pirate was handing out treasure and I lured them back over to get some but they were having no part of the rest of the show so were off to the playground again. Katey got brave enough to let the wench paint her face after the show but Charles stayed behind to play some more. We headed off to find them and ended up at the rock again were Charles did better but Katey got scared and didn't really climb much. The hay ride came back around and Maura and I played rock, paper, scissors to see who would go with them. I won and headed back to camp to spend a few minutes of quiet, it was heavenly. When Maura returned with the kids they were all hyped up from being in a parade on the hay ride and giving away beads that they took a bowl of Halloween candy into the field and handed that out. I lost track of Charles for a moment and headed down to find him wandering around enjoying the music until he caught me watching him and we played tag up to the camper.
Another trip to the playground and on the way back we discovered a characterist and I had the kids drawn before heading back to camp. It was dark by now but the kids played tag in the field with a little boy camped down the way until utter exhaustion took over. Charles meakly allowed me to wash him up, he was covered in marshmellows and chocolate from his first s'more. He was so tired that he fell asleep on the blanket, almost before we could lay it down. Katey sat up until she fell asleep sitting up in the chair and was carried off to bed.
Sunday morning we awoke to utter exhaustion for the adults and managed to get camp broke before taking the kids on one last hayride and ended by playing on the playground for a bit.
Charles and I arrived early Friday afternoon after quite the trip in. I stopped to get propane and had to trade in my tank but I couldn't get the stupid thing off the camper. The man inside came out and after much ado he managed to get it off. I got the new one and managed to get it attached by myself. Silly me didn't think to hold on to the other end of the bolt so it wouldn't spin. But as it turned out the delay paid off, I thought we were lost and pulled into a gas station to check my directions and a girl pulled up and asked if we were going to the music festival and lead us right in.
Once I got banded, we circled the area twice before I decided to park the van and renegade and venture on foot to find a camping spot. After much ado and misunderstandings we landed along the fence at the main stage. Awesome we could put the kids to sleep right in our camp and still listen to the music. And they had a whole field to play in.
Once we got the camper set up and Maura called to let her know where we were parked, Charles and I set out to explore the area. He tried to climb the rock wall for the first time but, didn't quite get the idea of letting go of the rope, even so he made it a few steps up the rock and was quite proud of himself. He played on the playground and explored the vendors then it was time to go check on Maura and Katey who it seems were just approaching the gate. Once they got set up, it was back to the playground and more exploring. The hayride came around and we were off for a ride. I had brought along a couple of tye dye hankies to wash the kids up with before heading back to camp but Charles was so dirty from playing in the dirt pile that I decided to throw him into the shower.
Back at camp it didn't take long before the kids were settled down and they fell asleep under the stars. We let them sleep and enjoyed the music and company before moving them into their beds. So I get Charles almost to the camper when he gets away from me exlaiming that he wasn't tired and ran all the way back to his bed under the stars. Boy was I flabergasted but eventually got him into bed and me with him. I was exhausted and slept hard.
Saturday morning they were up bright and early checking out the cows who had come down to sleep just on the other side of the fence that we were parked against. Maura and I managed to get some coffee into us before being drug off to the playground. We stood in line for breakfast and managed to get some sausage biscuits and gravy, bacon and some waffles which the kids wolfed down. Mauras sister and friend were coming out so we headed off to camp to see if they were there yet and they were so we got them settled before heading to the childrens tent for the pirate show. Charles insisted the pirates weren't real and wanted me to ask so I did and the man scared the pants off him when he leaned down and asked if Charles was real in a very real pirate voice. Of course the pirate had a gun and we discussed that he wouldn't fire it off in such a happy place. Charles proclaimed that the happy place would bite him if he tried. The show started by the pirates firing the cap guns and sent Charles and Katey running for cover. I thought I was going to die laughing. The wench pirate was handing out treasure and I lured them back over to get some but they were having no part of the rest of the show so were off to the playground again. Katey got brave enough to let the wench paint her face after the show but Charles stayed behind to play some more. We headed off to find them and ended up at the rock again were Charles did better but Katey got scared and didn't really climb much. The hay ride came back around and Maura and I played rock, paper, scissors to see who would go with them. I won and headed back to camp to spend a few minutes of quiet, it was heavenly. When Maura returned with the kids they were all hyped up from being in a parade on the hay ride and giving away beads that they took a bowl of Halloween candy into the field and handed that out. I lost track of Charles for a moment and headed down to find him wandering around enjoying the music until he caught me watching him and we played tag up to the camper.
Another trip to the playground and on the way back we discovered a characterist and I had the kids drawn before heading back to camp. It was dark by now but the kids played tag in the field with a little boy camped down the way until utter exhaustion took over. Charles meakly allowed me to wash him up, he was covered in marshmellows and chocolate from his first s'more. He was so tired that he fell asleep on the blanket, almost before we could lay it down. Katey sat up until she fell asleep sitting up in the chair and was carried off to bed.
Sunday morning we awoke to utter exhaustion for the adults and managed to get camp broke before taking the kids on one last hayride and ended by playing on the playground for a bit.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home