Memorial Day at Beverly Beach
We were the last camper to arrive on Friday night and most of the gang was pretty swilly by the time we arrived. Nat & Cassie were the last to arrive and then we were complete. We set up the camper while Dan started the fire, We drummed by the fire for awhile - well not me, I was on Lucy duty & quickly learned that she was going to make me crazy on the beach throwing sand & such until I took her back up to the campsite. Each morning she woke us early and I was forced on to the beach to drink my coffee so she wouldn't disturb the rest of the sleeping hippies. Not necessarily a bad thing since the beach is very quiet at that time of the day and Lucy could roam free for a bit. She really likes the beach, lots of soft sand to dig in & water. A bit wary of the waves but she was adjusting especially after her and Sadie romped Sunday night up and down the beach into the water through the sand round and round. Lucy thought it was the best.
Throughout the weekend the humans participated in various activities; drinking Margueritas & smoothies & beer and eating, my goodness I think we ate nonstop. As usual we had way too much food. I set a goal to lose 10 lbs before summer vacation. I am going to start a list of the stuff I want now but will promise myself during vacation. When a craving hits, I will add it to the list instead of eating it. If I could drop 20 before vacation, I would be so much more comfortable. Anyway back to the human activities, I spent the hottest part of the days working on my crazy quilt and managed to complete one block in full. Maura started a trend that sent us all scrambling for shells. Wind chimes of shells and beads on a piece of wood. Very cute, a couple of other campers even picked up the idea.
Monday morning I was taking Lucy to the beach when I ended up tying her out under the stairs and drank my first cup of coffee while visiting with a camper from Ohio. This was a woman who had married at 15 and was now feeling that she perhaps was missing something. I wanted to say....you need an adventure, just you, no husband. But before I could finish my part of the conversation her husband returned and the conversation was light again. Why do we as women feel trapped by the actions of our past? She was my age but of a different place. She is who I would have been, had we not moved to Florida when I was young. It was a very strange encounter, brief, but one I think will be with me for a long time. The person I am is a result of many factors, change any one of those and I would not be.
Throughout the weekend the humans participated in various activities; drinking Margueritas & smoothies & beer and eating, my goodness I think we ate nonstop. As usual we had way too much food. I set a goal to lose 10 lbs before summer vacation. I am going to start a list of the stuff I want now but will promise myself during vacation. When a craving hits, I will add it to the list instead of eating it. If I could drop 20 before vacation, I would be so much more comfortable. Anyway back to the human activities, I spent the hottest part of the days working on my crazy quilt and managed to complete one block in full. Maura started a trend that sent us all scrambling for shells. Wind chimes of shells and beads on a piece of wood. Very cute, a couple of other campers even picked up the idea.
Monday morning I was taking Lucy to the beach when I ended up tying her out under the stairs and drank my first cup of coffee while visiting with a camper from Ohio. This was a woman who had married at 15 and was now feeling that she perhaps was missing something. I wanted to say....you need an adventure, just you, no husband. But before I could finish my part of the conversation her husband returned and the conversation was light again. Why do we as women feel trapped by the actions of our past? She was my age but of a different place. She is who I would have been, had we not moved to Florida when I was young. It was a very strange encounter, brief, but one I think will be with me for a long time. The person I am is a result of many factors, change any one of those and I would not be.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home