Mama Cotton's Life Adventures

Join me on my path of Fiber, Music, and Rainbows.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

What's a girl to do?

Car broke down, husband had to work before he could pick up and replace the alternator, got the house to myself, hmmmm. I could clean the kitchen but I don't think so. There is a pound of Alpaca calling me and the dishes can just wait, I don't get the opportunity to have the house to myself very often these days and I was going to take full advantage of it. I had starting carding up the white and brown into a yummy mix of tan. But it occurred to me that I could card and spin up the 2oz of the rosey brown in the day I had to play and so I popped a movie in and got to work carding. By the end of the first movie I was pretty close to done with the carding. I put the next movie in and pulled out the spinning wheel. I had to do some fiddling since it has a new whirl. It really didn't want to play nice but I eventually got it figured out. I also figured out that if I predrafted the rolags, spinning went much smoother, for some reason the rolags just didn't want to draft nicely, I think there were some second cuts and short cuts in the mix and this was causing my hands to need to adjust distance apart for drafting. It was just too hard to make those minute adjustments while spinning so I drafted to close to what I wanted to spin and then just let the wool slip through my fingers and onto the bobbin. All the wool fit onto one bobbin so, I wrapped the wool around my Andean Plyer (I consider this a must have tool and if you have never seen one check it out here: http://pjhandcrafts.com/plyer.html) and proceded to ply from both ends. Plying was another adventure in fiddling and I think the skein is underplyed but will be fine for the knitting I am planning for it. After washing the 90 yard skein was hung on the back porch with a bit of weight to counter the underplying and this morning I photographed it. I am hoping there is enough there for a hat for next winter but, for now I am just enjoying looking and touching at the soft pretty skein.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home